I’m just going to jump right into this because this post might get a bit lengthy. I compiled a list of 10 apps that every guy could probably use at least once! And no, sorry, but “Hitch’s guide to landing your dream woman” app didn’t make the cut, so you’re on your own. However these top 10 apps for men should help you get through the rest of life just fine!
- SAS Survival Guide/Lite: There is a free version for those who want just the basics for survival. This is based off the bestselling book that has sold millions of copies. It really is simple and easy to access the elite training techniques. What guy doesn’t want to have over 400 pages of world-class survival skills in his pocket?! It’s got some pretty cool videos and pictures of animal tracks, knots, edible, medicinal and poisonous plants, sea creatures and snakes! Morse code signaling device comes included too! If you’re serious about surviving practically anything life can throw at you then this is a must have app!
- Fishidy: Any guy, whether amateur or pro-angler could use this app! It’s extremely easy to use and provides immediate access to some of the best fishing information a guy could want. This app combines with the full-featured Fishidy website to provide the most advanced, location-based fishing app that gives them ways to find fish faster on thousands of the most popular waterways across the U.S. It even has fishing tips and the maps are incredibly detailed.
- Fishing knots lite: Well once you find a good spot you’re going to need to get hooked up and land a fish! You’ll need the right knot! This app is very easy to use and understand, which is helpful for understanding how to tie a good knot. Each knot gives the information needed for load, line, hooks, lures, baits swivels and more. The best part of this app is that once installed it doesn’t need internet access to run and operate which is great for those of us who find themselves in the great outdoors!
- Alltrails: Speaking of finding yourself in the great outdoors…this app will get you there and back! This app is pretty incredible! It actually one the #1 outdoors app on iPhone. Carry access to 50,000 trails across North America in your pocket! What’s great is that the app is curated by the over 3.5 million people who’ve downloaded it. So you can easily find the best trail to hike, bike, run, all sortable by length, rating, and difficulty level! Plus is provides information on dog-friendly, wheelchair-friendly, and even kid-friendly.
- Pocket Universe: This app can truly make your jaw drop by transporting you to galaxies far, far away! The app gives you access to over 80,000 stars with beautiful textures! The visuals aren’t the only thing that impresses! Use the built-in compass and your phone’s camera as well with this app to provide the names and information right at your fingertips! Don’t just explore earth with this app, travel into space! (This may or may not have been included based on cool factor alone)
- Car Care 101: Let’s face it guys, you should know at least something about cars. Know you don’t necessarily need to know how to do everything under a hood (that can be pretty dangerous for you and your car!). It’s fairly simple to use and the videos are quite helpful. This saves a ton of time staring at an engine block scratching your head or searching YouTube videos for hours.
- iHandy Carpenter: This was voted #1 Father’s Day app by CNN, and for good reason. You get 5 quality and handy tools in one app. You get a plumb bob, a surface level, a bubble level, steel protractor, and steel ruler! Be sure to calibrate the plumb bob, surface and bubble level before serious usage, plus they can be used as an inclinometer/clinometer by reading the angles. The app is really helpful and easy to use providing directions on how to use each tool!
- Photo measures: Throw out the poorly drawn sketches on napkins of your master bed room that you’re trying to have your contractor understand! This app is great to use your phone’s own photos and place the measurement lines and number right into the picture. This is really helpful to ensure things fit into your spaces for decorating and constructing. Simple and easy to use with a functioning zoom to add in even more measurements.
- Handy Man DIY: Tackle almost any project with this app! There are incredibly detailed how to videos and instructions. Remove the guess work out of shopping with prebuilt material lists for common household projects or build your own list! The pricing estimator helps to figure out if your project is within budget too! There are literally too many awesome DIY features in this app to list!
- Packing Pro: This award winning app gives you control over one of the most worrisome tasks in life…packing. Never again will you forget to bring that jacket you needed on a trip or any other essential item. For those of us who travel and constantly on the go, things slip our minds and when you’re away from home, those mistakes can be costly. The astonishing amount of extras that go into this app that are beyond the basic packing list are incredible. I mean seriously? Built-in Expert assistance?! Wow.
Some of these apps are free and some are not, but believe me, they each hold a real value for having in your phone. If you have any other apps that you think should go on the list of Top 10 apps for men, leave a comment.
Let’s face it water is essential to living, the human body can last for a month of more without food, but can’t last more than a week without water! Our bodies are made up of over 60% water and we need it to function. Many of Gear Guide for Men‘s readers find themselves away from city water that’s been treated and often are surrounded by non-drinkable water supply. I remember myself going camping growing up and having to cart in the fresh water supply we need for the few days we would be in the woods or having to boil water in order to make it clean. Those days are gone thanks to the LifeStraw.
The LifeStraw is basically a big straw that you stick right into any water source; a bottle, a river or even a puddle and it converts the bacteria filled water into clean drinkable water. It does this by using advanced hollow fiber membrane technology to filter out 99.9% of waterborne bacteria including E. Coli and Salmonella. Plus 99.9% of waterborne protozoa, including Giardia and Cryptosporidium. The LifeStraw doesn’t use any chemicals to treat the water either, so there is no after taste and its BPA free!
This is an incredible tool to have whether you’re going camping, hiking, fishing, or even building an apocalypse bomb shelter and want to be able to drink water into the future! Each LifeStraw can filter up to a 1000 liters of water. So keep that in mind if you’re trying to stock up for life off the grid! You can grab them here for about $20 which isn’t bad considering how great and vital this little straw can be!
This only weighs 2 ounces and is easy to carry with you at 9 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. It meets US drinking water standards so you can trust that when you stick it into that puddle or stream you can be sure you’re getting fresh, clean, great tasting drinking water. With no moving parts to break and ease of use for everyone this is the perfect fresh water system for the outdoor enthusiast!
Remember that credit card company slogan “Don’t leave home without it”? The Tool Logic Credit Card Companion really should have adopted that slogan. This multi-tool, credit card thin, must have is perfect for those of us who can’t always have our trusty Leatherman multi-tool on us at all times. We all have our favorite handy dandy pocket knife we try to grab before we leave the house, but you can leave that at home and just grab your wallet with this gadget tucked inside it! Some may call it the guardian angel…because you’ll hardly realize you’re carrying it, but when you need it, it pulls more than its weight!
This amazing wallet tool box comes with a razor sharp, 2″ stainless steel blade with serrated edge, a can/bottle opener, awl, 8x power lens, a compass, toothpick, tweezers, small/large screwdrivers, and inch and cm rulers thrown on the back. Somehow they packed all of this into one card that only weighs 1.3 oz. For those of us who like to travel light but never be caught unprepared this couldn’t be better!
All tool logic products come with a lifetime warranty too! So don’t be afraid to bust out this tiny yet powerful tool when you need to! The knife can easily cut through rope, rubber hose, and of course cardboard along with almost anything else you can throw at it. Some of the other accessories will wear out long before this blade will let you down. You will probably use the blade more than anything but you’ll be surprised how many times you pull out the screwdrivers to tighten things or make adjustments.
This make a great gift but also gives you some reassurance that you’ll almost always have something to get the job done right in your pocket! Right now you can save %50 if you get it here:
There is nothing better after a long day or hiking, fishing, mountain biking, or most anything outdoors than a nice soak in a hot tub! However most of us don’t always travel with this fine luxury! Unless we are going glamping many of us tend to rough it out and don’t get to enjoy the ultimate relaxation technique of the hot tub soak. Ingenuity and creativity have now blessed us with The Original Nomad and blessed us with the worlds first portable hot tub!!
What you need to know: Now this isn’t necessarily a plug and play type of operation. However, it is relatively simple enough to operate. They do recommend filling with the aid of a water pump if not camping near a water source. The actual system however doesn’t require anything except for a good old fashioned fire (or propane). The system uses something called thermo-syphoning to pump the water heated from the coils into the hot tub. It will take between 2-3 hours to heat up to about 105 degrees Farenheit so keep that in mind when planning on using this.
So now all you have to do is figure out where you’d going to test this amazing hot tub out at! Looks like it’s time to plan that next adventure! It’s made of durable vinyl and sets up relatively easily. Seems like The Original Nomad portable hot tub is a new must have when camping!
Let me first start out by saying that for some reason the idea of a pop up camper always seemed cheesy and almost dorky…I personally never liked the idea of a camper versus an actual tent. However time and technology has been able to change my mind when I was introduce to the SylvanSport GO pop up camper and trailer.
Most people opt for the pop up because its not big and bulky like an RV but offers the comfort and stability that a tent is lacking. This ultra-lightweight pop up is towable even by a small hybrid car for christ’s sake! Talk about usability! The latches and handles to make the GO function are even designed to be easy to use and operate. The functionality is really where it shines though. The conventional Pop ups were a standard box and you could possibly store bikes or kayaks on top if you were lucky. The GO is a utility trailer allowing for storage on the inside during transport as well as on top!
With the motto on their site of “One trailer. Countless uses.” we believe them! It can carry 10 mountain bikes or 10 kayaks and when you get to the campsite you’ve got room to sleep 4 people and 6 1/2 feet of head room. It’s design allows for multiple variations of use and it has the perfect layout for a functional and spacious interior. The term of “swiss army knife” of campers is pretty accurate.
Some specs to keep in mind for the long term are that it’s exo-frame made of lightweight aluminum and the fabric is 200d rip-stop polyester material to keep you bug free and dry! The storage boxes will never corrode and are a durable polyethylene material. You’ve got a durable roof out of thermoformed ABS plastic and lightweight, high-strength panels for sleeping platforms that are hidden out of sight for storage.
I can’t explain enough how easy the GO is! It has a one step coupler for hitching and hydraulic assist when opening the sleeping pod! Even the trailer has a tilt deck to allow for easy loading! A product that can offer so many uses really does hold its value!
Here is what you get:
The fully loaded SylvanSport GO camping-trailer, only $8,495. Includes:
- SylvanSport Mobile Adventure Trailer and Tent System
- 2 Bed/Table Panels – Allows up to six different interior configurations
- 4 Self inflating mattresses – GO sleeps up to four, comfortably, on a King-and-a-half sized bed.
- Awning Kit – adds 80’ of outdoor living space
- Spare Tire Kit – Mounted securely underneath the Control-tilt Deck
- Control-tilt Deck – Allows for ramp free loading of motorcycles, lawn mowers, ATVs and more
It really does have us sold that is the best pop up camper and trailer!